What is it like to float in a deprivation tank provided by crystalwaterfloat.com?
1) It’s an experience that’s both new and familiar. None of us can remember what it’s like to be in the womb, but I have to imagine rocking in the warm water of the tank in silence (there’s calming music should you choose to play it) is as close to being back there as it gets. Not only is it unbelievably soothing but, you can feel kinda like a pre-cog from Minority Report. Don’t worry ya’ll, if you suffer from claustrophobia, you can leave the lid partially open.
2) Couldn’t you use a break from screens. Doing two hours of anything with complete disconnection from social media seemed feasible (you do sleep after all), but maybe in the beginning you’ll find yourself counting down the minutes in your head at the beginning of your session. Once you start slipping deeper and deeper into relaxation, you’ll become unaware of time, and began to confront the highs and lows of the past year and channel positive energy toward what’s to come—it was a spiritual and mental detox. Before you know it, a kind voice was overhead, notifying me that it was time to get out. The lack of real-world contact is encouraged even after you’ve exited the tank; cozy couches and a cup of hot tea allow you to unwind and bring yourself back to reality as slowly as you’d like.
3) You’ll feel pain relief in areas you didn’t even know you had pain in. It only took a few minutes of floating for your shoulders, legs and lower back—the areas where you experience the most tension regularly—to become tight. But by the end of the session, the constriction will almost be nonexistent and you’ll feel even better and less stiff the day after.
4) Your skin and hair will thank you. Outside of a Soul-Cycle class or a sauna session, this is the best sweat you’ll get; at 98.6° F, there are moments when you’ll feel nice and warm and may need to release the lid a bit for some fresh air. The slippery salt works wonders on your skin and hair: There’s no need for exfoliation or a shower after the session—you feel as if you’ve essentially been scrubbed squeaky-clean, but with no harshness (and even if your skin is quite sensitive). It’s important to keep in mind that you should drink a lot of water and have a light snack beforehand. As with working out, you will feel quite thirsty and ready for a meal once you’re done.
5) You’ll have the best sleep of your life afterward. You may even fall asleep on the floor of the spa with the snap of fingers, but instead, you may just fall asleep the instant you hit your mattress and feel completely restored and rejuvenated the entire next day. ENJOY!